I'm Melissa, I have a passion for design & art.
I have my Bachelor of Design Honours Degree from York University and Sheridan College, as well as over 10 years experience in the publishing industry as a Designer & Art Director. I love typography, playing with colour and enjoy keeping up with the current trends in design, pop culture and the arts. I feel it is important to be aware of the current trends as a designer in order to evolve and stay fresh. My design style has often been described as current and clean.
As well as being a designer, I am also an artist. This skill has served me well over the years when working with other artists, as I am able to clearly sketch out the linear concepts and communicate the desired results accurately. My art work can be seen in my Instagram account if you like to take a peek.
I am a huge lover of reading and always have a book on the go. I enjoy a wide variety of genres and think my passion for the art of story telling would come through in my work as a designer.
Nature and animal conservation is also a cause very close to my heart. I endeavour to contribute to their protection, as well as choose to make it the main theme for my subjects as an artist. I have used a variety of mediums over the years—from painting in watercolour, graphite & pastel drawing, photography and most recently, in stop motion animation.
Other hobbies and interests include: nature hikes, movies/films of all genres and periods, advertising, learning about social media best practices & tea drinking.
Food in Canada Magazine (Glacier Media)
Art Director | 2010 April – 2018 May
- Cover-to-cover design and art direction of the magazine
- Design of all print promotional material
- Online ad and e-promo design
- Various other responsibilities such as branding design, re-designs and supplement template design, working with photographers
Art Director/Senior Designer | 2006 May – 2010 April
- Art Director for Plastics in Canada & On-Site magazines
- Acting Art Director (covering a mat-leave) for HPAC magazine during this period, as well as managing a freelance designer
- Cover-to-cover design and art direction of the magazines
- Design of all print promotional material for the publications
Pronk & Associates (Educational text books)
Jr. Designer/Production | 2003 December – 2004 December
Editorial and layout changes to school text books
Created concept sketches for photographers
Freelance Designer | 2005 October – 2006 March
Layout design of the magazine
Theatre by the Bay
Freelance Designer | 2003 September – 2004 September
- Designed flyers, ads, posters, banners, programs and other promotional print applications for the theatre company
Toronto Fashion Magazine
Intern | 2002 August
Performed various tasks such as contacting photographers, photo researching and light design work